Does it hurt????

• February 8, 2012 at 15:44 #144857
    Bush

Hi dylly, and welcome to the site,

I’m sorry to hear about your son, it must be so difficult for you. Unfortunately I don’t have any children and I started pulling when I was 17, so I don’t really have any advice, but I wanted you to know that you’re not alone.

Most parents I’ve spoken to find that rewards help, but as you say, being 4 it’s hard to stick to a reward scheme. Especially as pulling is its own reward for us.

As your son has trichophagia, I hope your doctors are taking it very seriously, because ingested hair can cause so many problems.

Is your son always/ever aware of his pulling? Many people don’t notice when they pull, which makes it difficult to consciously stop. For girls/women I recommend a jangly, noisy bracelet so they hear their hand move. Is there anything similar you could do for your son? Something noisy (but not a girly bracelet!) to attach to his wrist or arm so he hears it move? Just an idea. Other than that, the best thing is to make sure he has lots of toys etc, to fiddle and play with to keep his hands busy.

I hope you find something which will help your son, and I hope your doctor can help as well. Keep us updated. Hopefully another parent will see your post and reply, as I am aware that I am not very helpful!

Love and hugs,
    Kay

February 8, 2012 at 17:29 #144858
    dylly

Hi, thanks so much for your message of support, it really means an awful lot to have someone who understands. I will keep you updated on how he is doing and in answer to your question he is becoming more aware of when he is pulling since we started therapy.
    Thanks again, Dylly.

February 10, 2012 at 15:54 #144875
    Jaya

thanks for posting dylly, have you tried sending an enquiry to the website via contact us or filling out a questionnaire yet? they can send you some advice for parents. it’s really hard to see your child pulling. At least you have noticed and are getting help for him.

xxx

May 11, 2013 at 20:03 #147577
    Neomie
    Keymaster

Please let us know how you are progressing and I hope by now you have heard from us. You can always use the feedback form if you want to get our attention.

Love and pull freedom
    Neo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.