• June 8, 2002 at 15:33 #1723
    Neomie
    Keymaster

I think the most appalling thing about this disorder is the shame we feel about what we “do to ourselves”. The absolute biggest and best step towards healing is admitting it … first to ourselves and then perhaps to those we love and respect.

First step … just like in A.A. We have to say to OURSELVES “I have trichotillomania, which is an incurable impulse control disorder causing me to pull out my hair.”

Incurable … but controllable. Think about that.

I’ve been pull free over a year now and if I manage to be pull free the rest of my life, I will still have trich … I accept that and I believe I will be able to live the rest of my life without pulling.

So that’s the first step. Second step, I guess is shedding the shame … releasing the blame. It is not something we “do to ourselves” but something life did to us. It’s not the worst disorder we could have and IT IS NOT OUR FAULT.

I’m not advocating to everyone to go out and shout from the rooftops “I pull out my hair/lashes” or even to tell your best friends. I’m just saying that sometimes not telling people robs us of a closeness we really do deserve.

All that matters to me, is not that everyone in your life knows about your trich, but that you could handle it if they did.

That’s what we need to work on.

Please tell us your stories about telling people about your trich.

Thanks.

Love Neo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.