Genetics

• April 17, 2009 at 14:53 #130641
    Jaime

I do not have any children, and don’t agree with breeding so long as there are adoptable kids (and animals) out there. Considering the family genetics, I believe that this is a much better way to go.

Luckily, the family has a good sense of humor about it all, and we can poke fun at ourselves. Fixating on our flaws serves no purpose, so we put our energy into other endeavors – example: everyone has a BS or BA and at least two thirds of the family members have an MS/MA and/or PhD. Everyone who possesses the emotional stability to work, does.

Everyone’s family has its quirks, and when you’ve grown up around it, you don’t really notice or care – it’s your family, take it or leave it. My family is probably the biggest reason why I don’t hide my trich and am not embarrassed by it either – we have all been honest to each other from the start, and everyone wants to help. My parents were very pro-active about finding treatments (which didn’t work, but still) and ensuring that my classmates and teachers understood what was going on.

I can entirely understand how other trichsters would want to hide their condition, but thanks to my family, I never hid. Someone is bound to notice sooner or later, and the best defense is a good offense. So being bold and candid about trich is my best treatment outside of a cure.

After all, any problem is only as life-consuming and debilitating as you allow it to be; I have other things to do with my time.

(Sorry if I’m too intense and relentless – it’s a family thing.) ;o)

April 17, 2009 at 18:22 #130650
    Neomie
    Keymaster

No need to apologize – it’s admirable!

Love and pull freedom
    Neo

April 26, 2009 at 09:53 #130846
    rock-angel

Hi somavirex,

I think its really good being open about such matters,
    being ashamed is deffinetly not the way to go!
    However if I may ask, how is this related to this topic?
    Are more of your family members ‘trichsters’?

I myself have writed a looong post above explaining that my mum has the exact same ‘condition’ and I assume that I either ‘copied’ it from her or inhereted it anyway. But her father (my grandad) must have some kind of OCD as well.

Anywho, thanks for the positive thread and I really hope being open
    and direct about this has made it easier to cope and fight it!

June 13, 2009 at 11:23 #131852
    DaisyC

I come from a very anxious family. My Dad had a severe hoarding OCD and was incredibly anxious about everything.

My Mum worried lots. I can’t be completely sure but I think that my Mum might have has Trich as well…she didn’t like Dad touching her hair, she never went to a hairdresser and her nails were always immaculately painted (to keep her fingers busy?) I never saw her pulling, but she used to pull the odd hair from my fringe which “didn’t look right” when I was little -this probably only happened twice. She told me that she had cousins who pulled out their eyelashes “due to stress at being evacuated during the war” so if it’s genetic maybe that’s proof? She knew I had trich and it upset her, but she didn’t tell me she had it. It seems like circumstancial evidence but the more I think about it it seems to add up. If she was alive now I’d ask her.

My GP told me you are more likely to have Trich if you have an upbringing which is in an anxious family and OCD type behaviours in parents are more likely to cause Trich as a coping mechanism in children. My Bro and Sis are worriers too but neither of them has Trich as far as I know (well they haven’t shared with me and they know I have it).

Hope this is helpful,

Love,

Daisy xxx

June 21, 2009 at 19:18 #131946
    Wiggy

Trichotillomania IS genetic!!!! When I was only 2 YEARS OLD my mother noticed that I had chunks of hair missing. She even caught me pulling out my hair.

June 22, 2009 at 10:27 #131957
    Judith

There is no evidence 100% FOR or AGAINST genetics. Trich is still being researched.

June 23, 2009 at 09:35 #131997
    DaisyC

Nature or nurture? The debate continues! 😀

Maybe it’s a combination of the two? Nature and nurture?

Maybe we’ll never know?!!

June 23, 2009 at 09:56 #131998
    Neomie
    Keymaster

Hi Daisy

You’re absolutely right.

The reason I haven’t got involved much in this somewhat heated discussion previously, is that everyone is right!

Most of us have family who exhibit some seemingly strange behavior which is related to impulse control, as described by Wiggy and others.

Nevertheless the 100% in Jude’s statement is quite correct too. Very few things, with the exception of a couple of disorders like Huntingdons, can be directly traced to one specific gene. Trichotillomania IS still being researched but all areas of human health will always continue to be explored. Cancer is still being researched too, but we know an enormous amount about both.

Any and all behaviour is an intricate combination of genes and environment.

With Trichotillomania we are lucky enough to have isolated two specific genes which almost certainly are each related to some cases of pulling. There is one strain which is linked to a gene and runs in families, as can be seen if you go to the Home page and scroll right down to read the article on genetics. However, even if you have a particular gene there is usually a trigger which “turns it on” so that you eventually perform the behavior associated with it, hence many of us begin pulling after a trauma or a loss.

There is no clear cut pathway observable between one gene and one behavior, rather both work in tandem to form a complete human being.

And trichsters are complete human beings.

I am currently involved in research projects into exactly this and we are finding out more LITERALLY every day, which we will share with you as soon as we can.

Love and pull freedom
    Neo

June 23, 2009 at 10:04 #132000
    Jaya

I’d just like to add my thanks to every one of our users who’ve taken the time to fill out the web questionnaires that help us so much in compiling information about trich and trichsters.
    Hugs and PF power!
    :bun2

June 27, 2010 at 20:26 #139202
    Hope4Freedom

Well, when I first told my mum that I pulled, she didn’t see a problem in it because she said my dad does! he twirls his hair all the time like a teenage girl, which i’ve always noticed, but apparently he also picks his eyebrows out until there’s a ‘hole’ as my mum calls it, and then she points it out and tells him to stop. I’ve never noticed said ‘holes’, and clearly it’s something he’s always done, and it doesn’t bother him at all.

In related family news, my (maternal) uncle has what I assume is some sort of OCD, he hoards everything- to the point where most of the rooms in his house are too full of stuff to use- for example, to my knowledge he hasn’t thrown away a newspaper in 15+ years. It’s interesting how many trichsters seem to have a relative with OCD, although I suppose this could be exactly the same as for the general population, as it obviously isn’t a representative sample on this forum!

July 10, 2010 at 02:33 #139338
    jlo

Hello, Im hoping this is the correct forum in regaurds to the genetics.

I am 31 yr old female and I have been pulling out my hair (on my head) for the last 20 years, I have sone it so long now that I never thought about getting help, and I havent yet at this point, but im trying to stop on my own(not working to good). Anyway I always assumed it was part of an anxiety issue I had, but from reading about the possibility that it could be inhereted genetically I thought of my grandfather on my mothers side, Ive only met him a few times in my life, but the storys I head about him were none that were good. He was diagnosed later on in his life probably in his 40’s with Tourettes Sydrome, and Undifferentiated Schizophrenia, which explains why he used to beat my grandmother and my mother and her other siblings, everyone just thought he was crazy beczuse back then in the 1950’s and 1960’s those disorders were not recognized like they are today, just as domestic violence was common in households but divorces were not, and myy grandmother had to divorce him. There are several of my male cousins who were born in the late 70’s early 80’s that were diagnosed with ADHD, (when the diagnosis first came about), and then there was me, born in 1978 I started out twirling my hair as early as 1 or 2 years of age, but by the time I reached 11 years old I began to pull out my hairs, I was never brought to a dr. or child psychiarst, or tested for anything because everyone at the time said that any disorders that ran in our family could only be passed on to a male child, so I was left to deal with my own circumstances, I have been diagnosed with nxiety and depression for the last 10 years, and I honestly belive I had ADHD as a child and I have carried it with me into my adulthood, minus the hyperness. I am currently trying to find somewhere in my area to be tested, butd I seem to always run into a dead end because I dont have any insurance and I can not afford to pay out of pocket. Did I mention that 3 out of my four children also have been diagnosed with ADHD?..Its somthing to think about..yes I do believe genetics play an important factor, I just wish I could be thouroully tested for any other disorders.

April 2, 2013 at 19:23 #147358
    van

Myself and one other girl who i used to work with (both have trich) both of our mothers have epilepsy…with convulsing seizures …Another girl i met with trich..at the same job ..nobody in her immediate family had epilepsy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.