·get rinsing
·Retrain your Brain to stop Hair or Eyelash Pulling
·The Power of the Present Moment
·Promotion
·Pull Free : CAN BE!!!
·SUGAR SUCKS!
·The Strength to Stop

Chat

There is a problem right now with this block.

Advertising

There isn't any content right now for this block, but you can submit some by selecting SUBMIT NEWS from the left hand menu.

trichotillomania.co.uk :: View topic - Mindfulness
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mindfulness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trichotillomania.co.uk Forum Index -> Already Had Therapy? Talk here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mazzz
Site Saver
Site Saver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Mindfulness Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone have experience of or use mindfulness? I use it quite a lot in my work, but am just wondering whether people find it helpful for trichotillomania?
Mazzz
Site Saver
Site Saver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this elsewhere on the site but thought I'd add it here in case it's of interest:

I am a bit evangelical about mindfulness because I have found it really useful personally, and I know many others have too. I am a therapist in the NHS and use mindfulness quite a lot in the work I do and have found on the whole people respond really well to it.

I love how it teaches us to be present in the present, and to relate differently to thoughts, feelings, experiences, memories, images.

This is a nice description, from a therapist called Russell Harris:

"What is mindfulness? When I discuss mindfulness with clients, I define it as: ‘Consciously bringing awareness to your here-and-now experience with openness, interest and receptiveness.’ There are many facets to mindfulness, including living in the present moment; engaging fully in what you are doing rather than ‘getting lost’ in your thoughts; and allowing your feelings to be as they are, letting them come and go rather than trying to control them. When we observe our private experiences with openness and receptiveness, even the most painful thoughts, feelings, sensations and memories can seem less threatening or unbearable. In this way mindfulness can help us to transform our relationship with painful thoughts and feelings, in a way that reduces their impact and influence over our life."

I like that it not only helps me deal with difficult feelings/internal experiences, it also enhances life in a really positive way (which Russ Harris's quote doesn't capture, though his other work does). I was driving along in the car today sipping tea from my flask and listening to the radio, and using mindfulness I was actually able to BE there doing those things (and therefore appreciate and enjoy them), rather than in the past or the future (usually worry, stressing or ruminating!).

It also helps when my mind is 'noisy' and 'busy', racing and feeling overwhelmed. I can notice what's happening (rather than just get caught up in it and join in the race!) and choose how I respond and react which, as you can imagine, is pretty useful!

The 'Be Mindful' site (Google it, it won't let me post a link on here) is a good intro, as does the NHS Choices page (Google 'mindfulness NHS Choices'). There are loads of free downloadable podcasts which talk you through mindfulness practice to get started if you're interested, just let me know and I'll post the link!

Mazzz xx
Sylvie
TrichSTAR
TrichSTAR

x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it as was taught it in CBT, it definitely helps with pulling as well as other issues, it's been great for my anxiety and depression. I'm naturally a massive worrier and control freak, it's really helped me with that xx
Annette
TrichSTAR
TrichSTAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sylvie

I have not been around for a long time.

Mindfulness is a huge part of my pull free life. I think trichotillomania is an attention issue and mindfulness helps me feel attentive to life.

Pull free vibes,
Annette
Sylvie
TrichSTAR
TrichSTAR

x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Annette, glad to hear that mindfulness has helped you too, it gives me motivation to keep it up Smile xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trichotillomania.co.uk Forum Index -> Already Had Therapy? Talk here All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: